Saturday, May 16, 2009

Fried ants and other fun things

So I guess I've been in Uganda for two weeks now. I didn't update a thing since our time in the airport. Oh well!
Here's a summary of our time here in a nutshell:
Spent 1 week in Kampala (capital city of Uganda)
- Met the opposition leader of the federal government (the Ignatieff of Uganda)
- Met with the Canadian official from CIDA
- Spent some time in a few classes at Makerere University
- Went through all the BS that you can expect on a trip like this (hopefully)
Went to Arua - been here one week
- Met with some of the local government officials
- Worked in our compound that is still under construction
- Hired an electrician and a carpenter to get to work on the internet cafe
- Met with more officials
- Spent 2 hours on the radio discussing our projects and another 1/2 hour on TV
- Got promoted to VP of PFAI!
- Ate some fried ants (they taste like fried eggs)
- and some other stuff

All in all, the trip thus far has been an adjustment to the way of life here. Not so much because I am less busy than I was in Canada, but more to the way that people conduct business in these parts. Meeting after meeting after meeting... the way you do things here is to get permission from everyone you can find. Although these meetings have been more beneficial than anything as they provide the pivotal connections needed for ensuring a clientelle and they provide wonderful advice (and boy do they give a lot of advice; silencing a Ugandan is like trying to get rid of the stink from a pig).
It's been amazing how receptive people have been. Not much more to say about that but we await the advice of the master's students who will be joining us shortly sometime next week.
Anyways, I don't feel like writing, I feel like living. Thanks for reading and I'll try to blog soon!


- Reyn in Arua

1 comment:

  1. Oh I have read through nice staff home you are enjoying this place More especially Arua where there is a real African people lol; well I've not been there before but I here its anice Africa place, hope you are enjoying every moment here tasting on African foods lol; fried ants ouch nice some tribes eat them when they are still with life, I mean moving lol; ummm....just feel at home.

    ReplyDelete